v

10.14.2008

finding my id in madrid

When my son was 18 months old, his father and I went to Spain. We rented a car at the airport, where it seemed everyone – including the nuns – was chainsmoking. We drove to Cuenca for a night or two, then on to Altea, where we rented a farmhouse for a week. I was allergic to the top floor, where we were sleeping, and sneezed like a madwoman every night before falling asleep. In the morning we’d go for espresso at a café down the street, mainly so I could clear my sinuses. The waiter, Angel, was a bullfighter on the weekends. From Altea, we went to Granada, stopping for lunch in Murcia, which was amusing because the woman who’d just been crowned Miss Espana was from Murcia and everyone working at the restaurant seemed to know her. After Granada we went to Aranjuez, which is pretty much the Fontainebleau of Spain, a fair-weather residence of the royal family. We had one of the best meals in my life at a little restaurant across the street from where we were staying. Off the top of my head I do not remember the name of it. Nor do I remember what I ordered. I do not have a strong memory for such things. I did keep notes, but they're packed away. I do remember that Isaac slept in his stroller through the meal, which was rather sporting of him. I went to Spain another time, before Isaac was born. We dipped into San Sebastian, then drove to Pamplona and back into France through the Pyrenees.

All this itinerary revisiting is to demonstrate that while I’ve been to Spain, I have never been to Madrid. Here is a sweeps that might change that: The Grand Prize is five nights in Madrid plus air plus $4,000 in American Express Traveler’s cheques. The winner can take up to three guests. (The prize is for two hotel rooms in an unspecified hotel.) I like the sound of this one. The sponsor is Tapena Wines.

To enter, click HERE. Entrants must answer correctly all questions on a fun, short quiz. Enter up to once a month. The sweeps closes December 31.

What would I do if I won? I'd get a haircut. I'd spend hours in El Prado. I'd shop for espadrilles.