v

7.29.2008

three nights: turks and caicos

We missed our connecting flight coming back from Milan. I thought flying Air France on Bastille Day would be amusing, but nary a mention save the announcement that our flight would be delayed because of a military air show in Paris. I knew when I received my ticket (which I had not booked myself; it was a group trip) and saw that there were only 90 minutes between arrival and departure at Charles de Gaulle that chances were high that we'd miss that flight. During our wait on the tarmac in Milan, the announcer assured us that many departing flights out of Paris were also delayed. So we arrived and, with no information about the status of our connecting flight, made a dash for Terminal E. This was no 50-yard dash, mind you. It felt like over a mile. And we were rushing, with all of our bags, because we thought we might make our flight. But the genius who designed this airport forgot to install information screens throughout the airport. We did not learn until we arrived at Terminal E that our flight had departed. On time. They booked us on the next flight. We spent three hours hanging out. We ate. I eavesdropped. I fantasized about going into Paris for an hour. So close but so far. Then I wondered what the chances were of missing our flight. Zut alors.

All this has left me obsessed with direct flights. I think there should be a way to search for direct flights out of an airport so you can evaluate direct-flight service from your base. I have not found a way to do it. If I do, you will be the first to know.

There does not seem to be a direct flight from any of the D.C.-area airports to the Turks and Caicos. I'm entering this one anyway. Three nights at The Regent Palms Turks & Caicos. Wow. I've got sweepslust again. To enter, click HERE. The deadline is August 6.