v

1.12.2008

five nights in rome

This sweeps reminded me that I must start studying Italian. Isaac and I are going to Italy this summer with his soccer team, to Cesenatica. I hadn't heard of it before but it's on the Adriatic between Ravenna and Rimini (yes, Fellini). After five days of games, he and I are off to Venice and Bologna and eventually Milan. But not Rome. So this sweeps, for five nights in Rome, in a luxury hotel, would be particularly sweet.

I'd originally hoped we get to Venice and Rome, but it would be too tricky time- and travel-wise to do both. Plus Rome can be incredibly hot this time of year. Still, there's that swell gladiator school. And Isaac may be studying Latin next year. I do wonder if Venice will captivate his imagination. There's lace and glass and masks. And? Marco Polo and that play by Willie the Shake. And? Death in Venice will have to wait.

We'll make it work.

I believe I've posted about my first impression of Venice at age 16. I wished someone had told me about the dead cats.

Besides studying Italian, we're watching Italian movies. We started with The Bicycle Thief. Next, if I can get my hands on a copy (maybe here?), Amarcord.

To enter, click HERE. One entry. The sweeps closes March 31.