v

1.22.2008

fasten your seatbelts

Let’s just say I’m glad I decided to sit out the stock market until the subprime dust settles. When I was a financial reporter, days like this were fun. Now that I’m older and wiser, days like this are … still fun. Capitalism needs a good shakeup now and then, don’t you think? And maybe a recession will soften demand for hotel rooms and we won’t have to shell out $2,000 for four nights’ worth of accommodations in cities like New York and L.A. A recession would also force a long-overdue realignment of supply and demand in other areas.

Of course I don’t want things to get too bad. A recession would also surely mean less income for me, a self-employer writer.

Wall Street was down on the bell. I’m not reading anything about circuit breakers. I hope they’re still in the mix. If not, I will amend my take on all this. A market slide without circuit breakers would be like riding the Coney Island Cyclone without brakes. AHHHH!

Here’s a sweeps to next year’s Super Bowl. Isaac only started following professional football this year, so this is my first Super Bowl sweeps. When he started to show interest in the NFL, I felt like a total failure as a mother. I actually walked around for several weeks asking myself, “Where did I go wrong?” But I bucked up and put things in perspective and thought up ways to dissuade him from ever actually wanting to play the game. Thank the stars, he still prefers soccer. In fact, in the middle of one game, and I do believe it was the Patriots versus the Giants, he said watching football made him realize how beautiful soccer is. That was music to my ears.

To enter, click HERE. This daily-entry sweeps runs through February 8.