v

9.15.2007

two new york stories, two new york sweeps

New York Story #1. My friend Jill recently helped gild the top of the New York Life Building. I am always impressed by her talent as a gilder. This job reminds me that her work sometimes demands an absolute fearlessness of heights. Once she was gilding a statue that must have been 25 feet tall. I thought that was brave. Now this. Phew! I could never.

New York Story #2. My friend Judy has recently started a blog about drug use (misuse, that is) and addiction. Mother Warriors is written from the heart, from her experience as the mother of a recovering addict. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a child on the precipice of or in the throes of adolescence, when the temptation to experiment with ingested and inhaled chemicals takes off, as well as for anyone who knows an adolescent or young adult who has slipped into addiction.

She recently tried to raise money on eBay by selling a wallet that she lost, and then found, on a recent trip to New York. That everything was in the wallet, credit cards, cash, restored her faith in humanity. She wanted to share her luck, raise some money to help someone of limited means trying to help an addict. Click HERE for the eBay link, which includes her story.

I hope you will check out both.

The summer sweeps lull is officially over. In fact, for the first time in a long time, there are so many great sweeps, I can’t keep up with them. I will certainly try.

Here are two for New York City:

1. Two nights at The Jumeirah Essex House, a makeover at The John Barret House and a $2,000 shopping spree at Bergdorf’s and a few meals, too. To enter, click HERE. The sweeps closes. Note: When you enter, you are signing up for emails from Bergdorf’s. They’re fun, at least for this fashion-starved gal. If you find them tedious, you can unsubscribe.

2. This is also for two nights in New York, at a hotel to be selected by the sponsor, Famous Footwear. I have always wondered what percentage of shoe sales in New York are due to women visiting with the wrong shoes, like I always tend to do, and having to buy a new pair. Ah! The wrong shoes and blisters! To enter, click HERE. The sweeps runs through October 27. You can enter daily. Watch out. To enter, if you have play this Spin the Shoe game that could bring on a seizure if you stay at it too long.