v

12.20.2006

take me to your castle

I made my Amtrak reservations yesterday for Christmas in Connecticut. I was taken aback by the fare, higher than usual because of the holiday, and started contemplating what I could have done with those funds travel-wise. A weekend in Williamsburg, Virginia, at the Inn, not the Lodge, a last-minute getaway somewhere swell and possibly tropical. Oh well.

I consoled myself this morning with a sweeps entry, to Ireland, to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of Orvis, the mail order folks. The prize is five nights at Ballynahinch Castle in Connemara, a lovely part of Ireland, oh how I loved Ireland, it was one of the great travel surprises of my life. Of course I clicked around the Orvis site a bit, nothing like unadulterated procrastination, and noticed they offered travel. One safari, through South Africa into Botswana, is on the Rovos Train, the most luxurious train in the world (or so they say). It looks absolutely exquisite, an elongated castle on wheels. I think travel by luxury rail is my favorite way to go.

To enter, click HERE. The deadline is December 25.

The Ineligibles: Residents of Florida and Rhode Island.