v

2.20.2007

two nights in l.a.: next year's oscars

This sweeps closes this Sunday at midnight Eastern Standard Time, right about when the Oscars will be winding down. I can’t quite put my finger on what is so intractably alluring about the Oscars. I never miss them. I grew up on old movies, became a serious film buff in the 1970s, so much so that my nickname was Barbara Fellini. That continued through the 1980s. I remember going to the movies every weekend. Here in D.C., there was the Inner Circle, the Outer Circle, the Key. This was before they all closed their doors. Then, I almost moved to L.A. in the early 1990s, I almost went into documentary filmmaking, after doing graduate work in the same. Alas, it was not meant to be. But I still love the movies, even though we are not exactly in a gold age of moviemaking. And I would never dream of missing the Oscars.

This one would be shameless stargazing. You only get tickets for Red Carpet Bleacher seats, not to the ceremony itself, so don’t go fantasizing past the door.

To enter, click HERE.