v

12.01.2006

day 5/7 - short and sweet: chicago!

I realized I wasn't exactly short and sweet yesterday. My kitchen wound seems to be on the mend. I have an appointment to see the doctor this morning but I am not going to go as the old burn seems to be healing with no sign of infection. That was my main worry, developing an infection.

Last night when I was falling asleep the blisters leaked. It felt like tears rolling across my inner wrist.

Isaac and I watched an amazing documentary last evening, Man Among Lions, about an amazing human being with an amazing story. Abdi Jama ended up herding camels in his native Somali after he was led to believe his mother was dead. One day a woman appeared, told him she’d walked 142 miles, announced that she was his mother. Salvation! Of sorts. He was educated, came to the States, worked as an engineer for something like 20 years. But Africa beckoned. He returned and spent several seasons in the Okavango Delta, in Botswana, shooting extraordinary footage of lions, elephants and leopards. Isaac and I were left pining to go on safari. I am going to find a way, come hell or high water.

We also watched Jeopardy! We rarely watch TV on school nights, but last night I thought the two of us needed a little R&R the likes of which only television sometimes provides. One of the categories was MUSEUMS and one of the answers was “What is the Field?” And I told Isaac he would love The Field Museum in Chicago for its famous dinosaur exhibit.

Since I couldn’t find a sweeps for a safari this morning, I entered one for a trip to Chicago. If you enter this one, take care to check “no” so you don’t get promotional material.

To enter, click HERE. The deadline is February 28.